Meatballs and Egg Rolls are always served during a fiesta or feast. While we are here in Philippines, we went to a barrio fiesta or a province fiesta. The whole family visited my Mom's place in the province and enjoyed a really big feast. Filipinos visit from one house to another if there is a fiesta so it's like having more than three meals in a day. You can have more than one meal for lunch too. In the province, our relatives live close by but we only got to visit 2 homes and got served twice only. And our favorite, meat balls and lumpia or egg rolls were served. But did you know that these dishes are seldom served on the table? These are only served when VIPs come. I am not sure with the others but growing up, we do this. These are special dishes which are served to special guests. I guess maybe because these, like meat balls, are made of all meat and consumed quickly since they are really good. Not a lot of it is made too because the hosts usually cook the other meat for other dishes that's why we serve it only to a few peeps. That's how hospitable Filipino are. We will wait for the visitors to eat first or we'll just have one or two pieces. Now that I can cook my own, I can have all I want. Also, I can make my own without frying it. Baking is healthier. So below is the recipe that I would like to share. I'll make some for my kids, they love it! Credits to Panlasangpinoy.com.
Easy Meat Balls
- 1 1/4 lbs. ground beef (85% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup regular or Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole fresh milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Gently mix the ingredients either by using your hands or by using a stand mixer. Make sure the the ingredients are well blended.
- Arrange an aluminum foil on a baking tray. Grease the foil using a cooking spray.
- Scoop a small portion of the mixture and mold it into a ball-shaped figure. Arrange the balls on the greased sheet.
- Place the tray with the meatballs in the oven. Bake for 28 to 35 minutes or until the inside part of the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and arrange in a serving plate.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6